1970 Charger Registry Message Board
June 26, 2017, 05:23:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the 1970 Charger Registry Message Board. Visit the 1970 Charger Registry main site at www.1970chargerregistry.com

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarter Panel Skin Replacement  (Read 163 times)
BamaBoy70Charger

Email
« on: May 12, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »

Has anyone replaced a quarter panel skin, NOT a FULL quarter panel. I have mine cut 3/4" off the top corner and the same distance from the end of the door jam, and just past the rear marker light on the rear. I was told by a guy that does Mopar restorations and said its best to leave the spot welded folds of the panels alone and weld the panels away from these areas as it was difficult to keep the factory look. It seams to me drilling out the spot welds and have the skin wrap in the rear and door jam would be better than all that welding and body filler on the vertical cuts. This would leave only one seam to weld at the top and I was planning on using a flange tool for that. Any tips, thoughts, or suggestions ???

The trunk pan panels are ready to be welded in as someone had already done all the cutting. All I have to work on is the passenger floor patch, RS rocker panel, and quarters. I believe I will just flange the top of the quarter panel and drill the spot welds on the ends to eliminate a vertical weld and extra body work.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:51:23 PM by BamaBoy70Charger » Logged
Plasma Nut
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:58:31 AM »

If you can afford a full quarter. You should do it . One of my only regrets on my car if you have to buy the 1/2 you might as well get the full quarter  Rich

70 charger 500, 07 Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab 80 RS Camaro 09 Pontiac G6
    Just another bump in the road of life!  
tsmithae
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:01:03 AM »

I agree, do the full factory style quarter. It was hard for me to swallow the price but the hours and material saved trying to get the quarters as straight as they are now... probably a wash IMHO.

-Ted
BamaBoy70Charger

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »

Thanks for the input. It wasn't a cost issue as I had these panels come with the car and wasn't sure about what was involved in drilling all the spot welds and getting a FULL panel attached. I figured if I messed up on the skin, a FULL panel could still be used. I wasn't sure what challenges were in getting the seams to look right.
tsmithae
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:12:16 PM »

Challenges are not really that many at all. The hardest part was getting the right angle to get the jamb area to pop in place and after a few attempts and trial fitments you get pretty good at it. 

-Ted
Dealer Demo
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »

I'd go with a full panel as well. There aren't a ton of spot welds holding the panel on. Drilling them out, attaching the new panel with plug welds and grinding the plug welds down is way less work than welding and grinding a 8' seam at the top of the panel. And then with a seam like that, you are always at risk for moisture penetration and or body work coming back through after a few years.

Kyle
70 Charger R/T Dealer Demonstrator
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
2008 Ram 3500 Coal Burner
charger_fan_4ever

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »

And then with a seam like that, you are always at risk for moisture penetration and or body work coming back through after a few years.

Agreed #1 reason to not do skins or patching.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: