1970 Charger Registry Message Board
February 21, 2018, 04:08:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the 1970 Charger Registry Message Board. Visit the 1970 Charger Registry main site at www.1970chargerregistry.com

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel & Tire Upsizing Explanation & Chart  (Read 18318 times)
ChargerST

Email
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »

upfront I run 235/60 R15 on 8" and in the rear 295/50 R15 on 8" as well. I really dig the look:

Coelacanth
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »

The bottom line is, there's really no guesswork at all. It's math, and I explained the formula. People can stuff whatever they want on their cars, but just because it fits doesn't mean it's a good idea. You're affecting suspension geometry, the rake of the car front-to-rear, braking efficacy and alignment...all of which can be rectified with chassis modding & re-engineering, but if you haven't done that...well, it's your car. ;)

Here's just one article on running tires more than 3% larger or smaller than the stock diameter, which would be the "acceptable" size range; specifically, it summarizes the effects of increased ride height and altered weight distribution on handling, stability & braking.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7383952_effects-different-tire-sizes-car.html

Another article by Car & Driver; note that their testing only includes "acceptable" diameters when upsizing; i.e. within the 3% window. When you go outside that window, the negative effects compound themselves.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Lastly, I would propose that someone like Mr. Angry and his Daytona Charger, who has done significant re-engineering of his suspension & braking system, is doing a lot more than just upsizing his wheels & tires; he's made the chassis mods necessary to compensate for the over-sized wheels & tires he's using.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:20:16 PM by Coelacanth » Logged
ChargerST

Email
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »

I understand what you're saying but it would be nice to know how much effect a different tire size actually has on brake performance etc.
Coelacanth
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »

There was one study done measuring the effects on braking of trucks with oversized tires & lift kits, but the study changed more than one variable (they did braking tests after upsizing tires AND adding lift kits) which made the experiment--and results--somewhat unscientific. Obviously raising a vehicle's height AND wheel/tire size will have negative effects on braking, but the study didn't isolate the variables and thus couldn't pinpoint which variable had a more measureable effect. Joerg could actually test the actual performance effects if he wanted to, as he has a G-Tech Pro performance meter, which measures G-forces when cornering as well as stopping distance.  He just needs to find a set of front wheels & tires that are stock height (any of the sizes I mentioned previously would be comparable to stock height) and you'd have as scientifically valid a test as possible. Test cornering G's & 60 - 0 stopping distance with stock-height tires, then put back on the 235/60R15's (or taller tires) and re-test. I think the G-force test would be useful as I imagine cornering would be affected, but I don't know if the wider 60 series footprint would counteract the taller rubber & wheels & ride height or not.

Direct link to the report is here (PDF file), in case anybody is interested.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aamva.org%2FuploadedFiles%2FMainSite%2FContent%2FVehicleRegistrationTitling%2FvehStudyEffectOfOversizedTiresOnAlteredHeightVehicles_Findings.pdf&ei=wqF0UPigBumiyAHm14CIBg&usg=AFQjCNHAHN9634UB53Vr2ieLmjPZ21tkVQ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:29:59 PM by Coelacanth » Logged
Dealer Demo
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »

Wonder if this guy has any braking problems 

Kyle
70 Charger R/T Dealer Demonstrator
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
2008 Ram 3500 Coal Burner
A6USMC
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 05:57:27 PM »

Charger ST,,, I would love to see a photo of those tires from the rear,,,they look great from the angle shown

1970 Charger 500  383 Magnum
2008 Chrysler Aspen  4.7
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Brian
ChargerST

Email
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:51 AM »

Charger ST,,, I would love to see a photo of those tires from the rear,,,they look great from the angle shown

They look really awesome! Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the rear but I'll try to take one before the Charger goes to storage (wheather is getting worse here every day).
Ricardo

Email
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »

www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Coelacanth
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »

Some of that info, like 1010tires, was already linked on page 1. Besides, what those theoretical tire calculators don't tell you is how a tire really fits a car, how it looks in reality...and also, since so many tire sizes were used on old cars (bigger ones typically in the rear), it's not so simple as selecting a "stock" tire size for comparison. Lastly, understanding the math behind tire sizing is probably more important than punching numbers into a calculator. ;)
moparsr2fast
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »

Some of that info, like 1010tires, was already linked on page 1. Besides, what those theoretical tire calculators don't tell you is how a tire really fits a car, how it looks in reality...and also, since so many tire sizes were used on old cars (bigger ones typically in the rear), it's not so simple as selecting a "stock" tire size for comparison. Lastly, understanding the math behind tire sizing is probably more important than punching numbers into a calculator. ;)

And that being said,    Ricardo ! 

Because, there is no way to have owned a Charger without having some cool stories to go with it.

Bob

70 FC7 Charger 500
    14 Grand Cherokee Overland
          01 Ram Sport 2500
Plasma Nut
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »

glad you joined great name!! Rich

70 charger 500, 07 Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab 80 RS Camaro 09 Pontiac G6
    Just another bump in the road of life!  
eric1970dodgechargerr/t
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 01:04:15 AM »

I was going to go with this setup when I had just started the charger and with the larger wheels in the rear it was rubbing , so I had to change plans and go to the setup on the charger now let me go back to the thread to see sizes before and after?

15x10 rear and 15x8 on front. 5-4.5 bolt pattern .Bfgoodrich radial ta 275-60-15 rear and 225-70-15 front. first try

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

centerlines were on when I brought it home:
1)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:08:40 AM by eric1970dodgechargerr/t » Logged
moparsr2fast
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:40 AM »

Gee Eric.... that wouldn't be one of your stores in the background, would it?   

Because, there is no way to have owned a Charger without having some cool stories to go with it.

Bob

70 FC7 Charger 500
    14 Grand Cherokee Overland
          01 Ram Sport 2500
eric1970dodgechargerr/t
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »

yep  I was just making sure that the charger will fit in its place when we host our location in june for a pretty dig cruise car show and the registration and t shirt stand is going to be on our lot as well  estimated 500 cars total so im counting down to get some pics cool thing is there going to do a article on my restoration and cone off the charger in the lime lite
ChargerST

Email
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

Kinda late..but better than never: here's a pic from the rear
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: