1970 Charger Registry Message Board
November 23, 2014, 05:32:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the 1970 Charger Registry Message Board. Visit the 1970 Charger Registry main site at www.1970chargerregistry.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1970 Charger Seat Foams  (Read 856 times)
Greg B

« on: June 14, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »

Hello Gentleman!

Quick question, does the 1970 Charger with LEATHER seats use a different style of seat from the standard vinyl? According to Year One Inc., they are different. Any ideas about this?

Here is why I would like to know.

I ordered a set of seat foams for my 1970 Dodge Charger from Year One Inc. in December 2011. They seemed to be the only company re-issuing these particular seat foams. Recently I took the seat foams to a local upholstery shop for installation. Both foam seat bottoms I purchased worked fine, but the backs appear to be totally wrong. They actually look like they would fit a 1970 Roadrunner or GTX. I did take a picture of the foams next to the originals so that the difference can be appreciated (picture attached). You will see in the picture that the original (yellow with age) is totally different than the one I bought from Year One Inc. My upholsterer told me he is going to have to carve up and rebuild the new backs in order for them to fit on my car. That is going to cost me a fortune. It appeared to me that there was something clearly something wrong with those reproduction seat foam backs, and so I notified Year One Inc.

Following is their reply:

Greg - The foams that you have pictured are often referred to as “Leather Style” foams as they were used on cars that had the upgraded Leather seating option. We are not currently aware of anyone that is making a reproduction of this foam. You could check with Legendary Interiors at 1-800-363-8804 to see if they have any leads on locating a set of foams for this seat. - Tyler

Does anybody know if this is true? Does any company make a seat foam for a 1970 Charger with the all vinyl seat?

Respectfully submitted

Plasma Nut
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »

look on ebay, I see correct seat foam on there alot. Rich

Rich,  70 charger 500, 07 Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab 80 RS Camaro 09 Pontiac G6
    Just another bump in the road of life!  
BananaDan
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »

They're right, call Legendary.  If Legendary doesn't make them, they'll know who does and what options you have, if any.

'70 FY1 Charger R/T

My interior resto thread: http://bit.ly/SxFN2b
Labeled dash harness: http://bit.ly/VExsHe
A01 wiring: http://bit.ly/Tnz0TV
Tic-Toc-Tach wiring: http://bit.ly/X23RwH
Greg B

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

Hello!

Legendary does not make them, and the guy on ebay is selling the foams that look like those I bought. His advertisement "1970 1971 BARRACUDA CHALLENGER CHARGER CORONET DART DUSTER DEMON SATELLITE GTX SUPER BEE ROADRUNNER BUCKET SEAT FOAM BUN - This part is compatible with 10 vehicle(s)"

For reference purposes, following are pictures of both seats. The Charger seat is narrower at the top and has deeper wings that snug into the side of your body. The seat foams required for each seat are clearly different, yet those who manufacture them lump all the B bodies of that vintage together.

Anyhow, if you currently require seat foams for your 1970 Charger, be prepared to do some modifications to these foams to get them to fit. Who knows, someone might come out with a purpose built foam next month. .
Greg B

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »

1970 Roadrunner seat
moparsr2fast
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »

The seat frames are the same for model year 1970 on all B bodies, A bodies, and Challengers but not Cudas. The frames are a one year only deal, and why the seat foam is pretty much universal across the board reguardless of the model cover used. Bob
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:08:53 PM by moparsr2fast » Logged

Because, there is no way to have owned a Charger without having some cool stories to go with it.

70 Charger 500
          04 Jeep grand cherokee
               06 Charger daytona 
                    01 Ram 2500 Sport
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: