1970 Charger Registry Message Board
January 22, 2018, 11:01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the 1970 Charger Registry Message Board. Visit the 1970 Charger Registry main site at www.1970chargerregistry.com

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torquefile A-727 - Extension housing Yoke Seal removal  (Read 1782 times)
Greg B

« on: July 21, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

Hello Gentleman

I was wondering if anyone here might have an idea to resolve an issue I am having with the removal of an Extension housing Yoke Seal. The seal on my car has been leaking, so I thought is prudent to replace it. The one presently on the car that somebody else installed does not have the typical long pliable dust boot that was standard on the OEM seal. The replacement I purchase has that integral dust boot. In years past, I removed and installed these seals on a couple different vehicles, but never encountered one this stubborn. I removed the drive shaft, and with a small flat pry bar separated the seal lip from the transmission housing, I then used a hammer to tap only against the seal. This served to only damage the lip of the seal. As the transmission extension housing is cast aluminum, and very thin, I am loath to pry against the casing lest I chip a piece off. In that event, the housing is ruined. After some time, I gave up, re-installed the driveshaft, and snapped the following two pictures. Does anyone know if it would be ok to get behind the seal with an "L" type puller to pull out the seal, or will I damage something inside the end of the extension housing. Hopefully, the seal is not epoxied in by the same guy that glued in my windows! 
Dealer Demo
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »

Keep prying around the entire seal. Try bending it in on itself too. That housing is fairly sturdy, the stamped steel seal should bend before you would break that tail housing.

Kyle
70 Charger R/T Dealer Demonstrator
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
2008 Ram 3500 Coal Burner
A383Wing
Hall of Fame Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »

pull drive line back out, and keep using a chisel and continue the way you were all the way around, it will make it a little smaller and should pop right out with little effort. Just drive the outside of the seal towards the inside

Bryan
Greg B

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

Hello Gentleman!

OK, I will persue this further. Your suggestions have bolstered my confidence to try again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: